C-N tops Lady Railsplitters in OT

October 9, 2013

HARROGATE, Tenn. — Gabrielle Gianeselli scored in the 98th minute to push the Carson-Newman Eagles past the Lady Railsplitters, 3-2, in South Atlantic Conference women’s soccer action on Wednesday. The overtime loss drops Lincoln Memorial University to 6-3-1 overall and 4-2 in SAC play while Carson-Newman leaps to 3-4-2 on the season and 2-2-1 in league play.

Carson-Newman established an early 1-0 lead after Liz Munguia put the Eagles on the board with a goal at the 4:40 mark. Munguia drove a free kick over the outstretched hand of LMU keeper Kayla Stephens (Keller, Texas) to tally her second goal of the season and push C-N in front.

After launching a steady barrage of shots following Carson-Newman’s goal, the Lady Railsplitters finally broke through to tie the match in the 39th minute. Freshman Michelle Hunter (Tecumseh, Ontario) was the culprit, as she broke away from the defense using a pass from Marissa Kiernan (Port St. Lucie, Fla.) and beat the Carson-Newman keeper for her sixth goal of the 2013 campaign.

The match remained locked in a 1-1 stalemate for much of the second half until Maddy Nagy (Rockledge, Fla.) pushed the Lady Railsplitters in front, 2-1, with a goal at the 75:07 mark. Nagy sent a long kick into the box that was misplayed by the Eagle keeper, sneaking into the net to give Nagy her first score of the year.

The Lady Railsplitters’ lead would not hold for long, as the Eagles knotted the game back up in the 79th minute. Munguia tallied her second goal of the afternoon, heading home a Gianeselli corner to square the match.

The final 11 minutes of regulation came to a close without consequence, sending the two teams into overtime. The Lady Railsplitters hoisted the first two shots of the overtime period, however, it was the Eagles that found the net to capture the sudden victory. Gianeselli netted her third goal of the season in the 98th minute, as her foot found the ball just outside of the box where she sent one into the upper right-hand corner of the net to end the match.

The Lady Railsplitters fell despite recording a 28-11 shot advantage with a 10-7 cushion on shots on target. Kristen Cook (Little Rock, Ark.) and Nicole McKinney (Ooltewah, Tenn.) paced LMU with five shots apiece while Hunter and Josefin Hedstrom (Burtrask, Sweden) added four shots in the match. Sidnee Edwards and Munguia led the Eagles with three shots apiece.

Both the Lady Railsplitters and Eagles recorded three corner kicks in the match.

Sophomore netminder Kayla Stephens was saddled with the loss after allowing three goals and making three stops in 97:26 minutes of work. Eagle goalkeeper Tiarna McKenna was superb in net, picking up seven saves in the winning effort.

Lincoln Memorial is scheduled to return to the field on Saturday for a South Atlantic Conference battle against the Queens Royals. That match is set to get underway at the LMU Soccer Complex at 1 p.m.