Members of the Martin’s Station Chapter, Virginia Society Sons of the American Revolution (SAR) hosted a grave marking ceremony to honor Revolutionary War Soldiers Capt. John A. Bingham and Lewis Green on Oct. 19.
Also in attendance were members from the Gen. Joseph Martin Chapter, Tennessee Society Sons of the American Revolution; Kentucky Path and Mountain Trail Chapters, Kentucky Society Daughters of the American Revolution; the Maj. George Gibson and the Dr. Thomas Walker Chapters, Virginia Society Daughters of the American Revolution, along with descendants of the Revolutionary War patriots, Bingham and Green.
Conducted by the Martin’s Station Chapter, SAR, the ceremony began with opening remarks from Chapter President Tom Coker, followed by the National Anthem, the Pledge of Allegiance, the SAR Pledge and the placing of wreaths.
Jerry Phillips, Martin’s Station Chapter, gave the invocation. Speaking in honor of their ancestors was Lillie Robbins in honor of Lewis Green and J.T. Bingham in honor of Capt. John A. Bingham. The closing prayer was given by Terry Williams, Gen. Joseph Martin Chapter, followed by Taps.
John A. Bingham served under Col. Abraham Buford’s company of the 11th Virginia Regiment. He was born in 1763 in Albemarle County, Va., but the date of his death is unsure. Bingham was married to Deborah Phipps. It is said that John Bingham served under Gen. George Washington during his service to his country. He is buried in Kirby Cemetery, Callaway, Bell County. He is the ancestor of all the Binghams of the Tri-State area.
Serving under John Blakeman, William Moore; Lt. Joseph Moore; and Isaac Shelby, Lewis Green was a Revolutionary War Veteran from Virginia. He was born on May 5, 1751 in Dinwiddie County, Va., and was living in Russell County, Va. when he enlisted in the service the spring of 1776. He married Esther Kilgore.
Green was one of the first settlers on the Cumberland River. He had been in Kentucky with some of Daniel Boone’s scouting parties. He returned there as a surveyor, acquiring the property from the top of Pine Mountain to the Cumberland River. Tanyard Hill was part of his property, getting its name from the tanning vats used in curing animal skins. Green was also known as an Indian spy and scout.
He lived in what is today Calloway, where he died after June 10, 1835. Green was buried at what used to be Old Meeting House Branch (now Callaway). During the construction in of U.S. 119 in1960 in the Calloway area, his grave had to be relocated on land belonging to John Matt Pursiful. Today, Green is buried along with Bingham in the Kirby Cemetery.
The Martin’s Station Chapter expresses appreciation to all that participated in this event.
Anyone interested in the SAR, may contact Donnie Campbell at 276-445-5553 or interested in the DAR may contact visit www.dar.org.
Tax exempt donations to help fund the grave marking program are gratefully accepted by the Martin’s Station Chapter.
For further information, call 276-445-5553 or 276-445-5836.