MIDDLESBORO - a 17-year old has been arrested and charged with terroristic threatening for allegedly calling in a bomb threat to Middlesboro High School (MHS) Friday.
Students at MHS were evacuated from the school early Friday afternoon after the bomb threat was received.
Superintendent Dr. Rita Cook stated that she received a call at approximately 1 p.m. that a threat had been received at the high school. She stated that MHS Principal Shelia Smith immediately evacuated all students and faculty to the arts building, and the Middlesboro Police Department had been notified.
Smith said that the school received a short phone call about the threat, and that the caller sounded like a child.
Officers from the Middlesboro Police, Fire and EMS, responded in minutes, and along with personnel from the school system began a sweep of the campus.
After the search was complete and nothing suspicious was found students were allowed to return to normal activities. At that time students were allowed back in the building to finish the day, although parents were texted and allowed to pick up their children early if they wished.
At 3:50 p.m. Friday, Detective Joe Holder with the Middlesboro Police Department placed the 17-year-old juvenile under arrest for terroristic threatening 1st degree. The charge of terroristic threatening carries a sentence of up to 10 years in prison.
“I would like to compliment the police and fire department for their efforts in the search,” stated Smith. She also stated that she was proud of the faculty, who evacuated the students from the building after the threat was called in.
Although Smith said everyone remained calm, students were frightened by the threat.
“The fire alarm went off and they told us to go to the auditorium. Then we heard all the sirens, saw all the police cars and fire trucks. I knew it was something bad,’ said sophomore Jasmine Greene. “It was very scary.”