The Bell County Volunteer Fire Department responded to a house fire on Wednesday morning.
According to Bell County Sheriff’s Deputy Shane Stewart, a phone call came in around 9:40 a.m.
“We don’t know right now how it started,” said Stewart. “It’s most likely electrical.”
The house belongs to former Kentucky State Police Det. Mitch Williams’ parents, Andy and Mary Williams.
According to Stewart, Andy was in the backyard with his caretaker planting tomato plants when they noticed smoke. By the time they made it into the house the living room was fully engulfed.
Volunteers said they shut off a natural gas line to the house upon arrival.
Firefighters were still battling the blaze around 11 a.m., when a large portion of the roof caved in. Shortly after, the department had to call for additional water trucks while battling the enormous blaze.
According to Stewart, no foul play is suspected in the fire.