A house fire during the early morning hours on Monday in Harrogate, Tenn., may have been caused by Christmas lights, Harrogate Volunteer Fire Department (HVFD) Chief Rick Davis said.
“It’s not set in stone (that the lights caused the fire), but we are pretty sure,” said Davis. He stated an electrical socket could have been overloaded.
The fire started at 5 a.m. Davis said the fire was contained to the living room ceiling and was under control in 15 minutes. There were no injuries reported.
“Our crew did a good job,” said Davis. “Looking from the outside, you couldn’t tell the house was on fire.”
The incident brings attention to the possibility of house fires caused by overloaded extension cords. Davis stated people need to make sure the extension cords or surge protectors can handle the load.
Davis also stated people in the HVFD service area can have their smoke detector batteries replaced for free by the department. Individuals can also have new smoke detectors placed in their homes by the department for free.
Those interested may call the department at 423-869-9211 and leave their name and number to acquire the services.