The Abbey Lane Bridge Project hasn’t started because of the lack of permit, according to Bell County Judge-Executive Albey Brock. The contract for the project has been awarded, but until the Division of Water and Corps of Engineers releases the contractor to work over the creek, the project is on hold.
“We’ve done all that we can do,” said Brock. “We have awarded the contract for that bridge. To my knowledge the contractor has done all they can do.”
Brock stated until they get a permit, they cannot work on the bridge. The fiscal court did approve a payment of $1,520 to Vaughn and Melton Consulting Engineers for design work on the Abbey Lane Bridge.
The fiscal court opened bids on both a .75 ton pickup truck and a compact excavator during the meeting on Tuesday as well. There was only one bid for the pickup truck, from Lee Motors.
The bid was for a 2013 Chevrolet. The bid came in at $36,115, which was $3,000 less than expected. The fiscal court awarded the bid to Lee Motors.
There were several bids placed for the compact excavator. The companies involved in the bidding included Rudd, Wayne Supply, Bobcat of Knoxville, Wilson Equipment and Brandize.
Rudd’s bid came in at $61,265 and Wayne Supply’s was $49,302.65. Wilson Equipment placed three bids in the amounts of $58,850, $62,000 and $65,100. Bobcat of Knoxville’s bid was $51,000.28. Brandize’s bid came in at $53,947.
Brock asked for a motion to table the bids. There are plans to award the winning bid at a later date once the road department reviews the specifications.
Several individuals were hired during the meeting. Christopher North was hired as court security at $7.25 an hour effective March 21, pending test results from the Department of Criminal Justice Training. Billy Myers was hired as a part-time deputy jailer at $7.25 an hour.
James Douglas Orick was hired as a part-time Animal Shelter worker at $7.25 an hour, and Tina Tipton was hired as a full-time temporary office worker for the Bell County Treasurer’s Office at $7.25 an hour.
Patrick Brooks was transferred from court security to a full-time deputy sheriff during the meeting.
Other business taken care of during the meeting included:
* Accept minutes from previous meeting;
* Pay bills and make necessary transfer;
* Accept treasurer’s financial statement for previous month;
* Accept sheriff’s claim sheet for fee account for previous month;
* Reappoint Joy Saylor and Sally Smith to the Bell County Public Library Board of Trustees, term to expire Feb. 28, 2017;
* Approve Bell County Detention Center Policy and Procedures Manual for 2013 (no change);
* Accept R. Sizemore Road into the Bell County Road System in District 2;
* Accept Cassie Fuson Road Extension into the Bell County Road System in District 5;
* Accept checks in the amount of $61,382.65 from Bruce Bennet, sheriff;
* Accept checks from Becky Blevins, clerk.
Reach Anthony Cloud at 606-248-1010, ext. 208, email@example.com